I am booked for consulting for the rest of the year.
If your traffic has dropped
- My guide to assessing a drop in Google organic traffic
- Google’s Advice on assessing traffic drops
- My Youtube Videos on The September Core Update and the October Spam Update
- My book on using the information in the Quality Raters Guidelines as a checklist for improving site quality
If you were hit by the October spam update
It may not be the spam update that hit you. If you were hit outside of October 19-21, it was not the spam update that affected you. More in my podcast.
If you were hit, it’s because you’ve been doing things that go against Google’s spam policies. Google’s SpamBrain is getting better at identifying spam. I investigated 40+ sites that were hit and most (although not all) had mostly links Google would consider unnatural. Guest post links and links you have created or inserted your own links into are against Google’s guidelines.
To recover, you’ll need to clean up the spam which means removing thin affiliate content, removing scraped content or content that contains user generated spam. And if you’ve been building your own links here are some resources to help you disavow:
- My book to help you understand which links are unnatural and what and how to disavow. It’s the 2020 version so I reduced it to $20. Still very relevant today.
- An article I wrote for Moz on unnatural links. It’s 9 years old, but still relevant.
- Two articles on why you can ignore toxic links and Toxic Links and Disavows on Search Engine Land
- Google’s spam guidelines. And also their July 2021 link spam update information about guest posting.
I am working on a workbook to help sites hit by the spam update. It will be out before the end of November.
If you want paid SEO consultation
I am not currently taking on clients for personal consulting. But I may be able to connect you with someone who can help solve your problem. I can connect you with colleagues who have worked and trained with me for years, or one of the many other talented and hardworking SEO professionals and companies I trust to do good work. Use the form below. It may take me a few days to respond, but I’ll do my best to help you find good SEO help.
If you really, really want to hire me to look into your traffic losses
My current fee for a traffic drop assessment is $30K USD. I’m booked in the near future, but if you’re willing to pay an urgency fee, I can convince David and the girls to let me spend a few of my nights and weekends assessing your site. Use the form below to share your info if you would like a more accurate quote.
Marie Haynes Consulting Inc.
301 March Rd, Suite #301, Kanata,
Canada K2K 2E2